jeudi, janvier 01, 2009

Nutella Swiss Roll

Nutella Swiss Roll (with a few bites taken)

When I was a teenager learning Home Economics, there were a few things that I would be making all the time after the lessons, including stuff like puff pastry, banana cake, scones, cheese straws, sponge cake, sago melaka, agar agar and Swiss Roll. When I woke up this morning on the 1st day of the new year, I had a sudden desire to make a Swiss Roll and since I do not like jam I filled it with Nutella.

Swiss Roll Base :

100g Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Tbsp fresh (or sweetened condensed) Milk
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
100g self-raising Flour

Beat sugar and eggs till thick and creamy over a bain-marie. This may take quite a few minutes as the egg mixture has to double even triple in volume. Sift the flour twice, divide into 3 portions and gently fold them into the mixture. Add the fresh or condensed milk and vanilla essence and mix well. Pour batter in a lined swiss roll tin (rectangular in shape) or the tray in your oven.

Bake for 10 minutes in a heated 190ºC oven on the lowest shelf.

Use a kitchen towel, baking paper or cling wrap to first roll the cake up tightly and keep it rolled up to cool. Then unroll it, spread the nutella on and roll it up again. The kids love it, of course. They'll eat anything with nutella in it. Mine cracked because I worked roughly, but it didn't bother me.

2 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Love that nutella swiss roll. Swiss rolls are something I've not attempted since Home Ec days, maybe cos of the horror of them cracking when rolling.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Mine did crack a bit here and there, but it doesn't matter, a roll is a roll and I've since learnt with age that unnecessary perfection is a waste of time and energy and en plus if it's stopping you from doing things you want to do...

Like walls, you think only smooth walls are good, but then I discovered the effort some people made to make their walls look cracked, uneven, rustic etc...:-)