lundi, janvier 05, 2009

Compote Pomme-Banane (Banana-Apple Sauce)

Compote Pomme-Banane

I have not made this in years. In another life, I made a compote de fruit everyday for a few years. When the Babies were babies, that is.

Back then, I never buy a pot of baby food unless I was travelling. It's really easy making your own fruit sauce, allowing you to control what goes into it, which fruit(s) to introduce to the baby etc. And as I was to discover (I say that as I never eat compote myself) soon enough, compote is eaten not just by babies but people of all ages e.g. Hub loves it and I have seen childless grown-up men buy and eat it!

I've been buying organic fruit sauce for the kids from the supermarket for a few months now. Then I was looking at the over-ripe apples and bananas in my fruit basket the other day and it drew on me that instead of throwing them away, I could make a compote with them. Yes, I can be this slow, I fear.

Just peel the fruits (in this case 2 apples and 2 bananas) and cut them into pieces. Heat up a little bit of water (really just a bit as fruit naturally contains water) and when it's boiling, put in the fruit, lower the heat and cook for a few minutes till they turn soft. Add in a touch of ground cinnamon if you wish and then purée/mix everything. Voilà une Compote Pomme-Banane faite maison! Eat it at room temperature or chilled. If you prefer it to be more acidic, squeeze some lemon juice over it.

4 commentaires:

Muriel a dit…

I just blast the fruits in the microwave ... less elegant but faster ^-^

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Babe, I've tried that a few times and having blasted compote on the ceiling of my microwave told me that I should just spend a few minutes more on my very cute Le Creuset 18" pot. :-)

Do you eat compote, btw? Personally I find the look of it quite gross. But I know most French people love it.

sohcool a dit…

I confirm that my hubby likes compote too. I tried but prefer real fruits. Somehow, I don't know if I should chew or just swallow.
How long can we keep compote that we make in the fridge?

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Sohcool, me too I prefer real fruits.

I've kept homemade compote for maximum 2 days in the fridge, usually I just make enough for 2 meals per day, preferring to make a new batch everyday. Same thing for the salty purées, I used to make them for my babies everyday too.