mercredi, décembre 12, 2007

Grilled Chicken and Aceto Balsamico di Modena

Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar of Modena

One thing I really like about Modena is its Balsamic Vinegar. Most people elsewhere probably wouldn't know that like wine, this vinegar comes in all ages, taste and texture. They use it here to dip cheese in, cook with risotto, serve grilled meats with, toss salads in, dribble over ice cream...In my farmhouse, I even have a little loft where they used to make the famous vinegar in.

So occasionally when I want to take the easy option, I'll marinate my chicken breasts with some salt, pepper, ground coriander, cinnamon and lemon juice and then grill them. Then serve them on a bed of mixed salad leaves with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and of course a very generous amount of expensive old family-reserve Balsamic Vinegar. A sure hit with old and young in this family. Easy cooking.

A few people have been telling me that I am stressed out and should get some help with the kids and the housework. In fact over dinner in our favourite restaurant the other evening, I had an argument with the Hub when he told me that I should get a live-in maid.

The very thought of it is stressing me out even more. I like being alone. What am I going to do with the maid when my kids are at school? She's not a broom that you can hide in the cupboard when you no longer need her. She will be paid for what she is doing certes, but these women wouldn't be able to go home daily after work and would have left their own families (maybe even children the age of yours) to join and look after yours. It would only be decent and very important to treat them like family. But she wouldn't be family. That's the problem.

And I don't know how we manage to get them so cheap in Singapore, but over here in Europe there are minimum salaries to respect and high taxes to pay - and the former is only correct and dignified. So I don't think we'll be able to afford one truth be told.

Then there'll be the difficulty of combatting the bureaucracy here to get legal papers for the girl (no way that I'm hiring anybody illegally). And like everyone she'll need a health insurance which is very costly especially here in Italy. Without a car you can't go anywhere in Modena, so what do I do? Chauffer her around or lock her up in the house during her time off? When we go on holiday, of course we'll have to bring her along.

I cook rather well. And many different stuff from around the world. How many maids will be able to do that? Doesn't that mean that I will have to cook and cook for more people everyday? Even have to respect what she likes or doesn't like to eat. Because do not forget that she is another human being so maid or not, you have to take into account her personal wishes.

Like you and me, she'll have her ups and downs, happy and sad. Will you ignore them? She will miss her family and friends. Maybe have winter blues like myself. Can you understand that?

I know I will and I can. And I do not know why but many people do unburden themselves the minute they see me. I have Aunt Agony written all over my forehead probably. And I do not want to give myself added stress and problems just for that.

So no, thank you. I need help, but I do not need a live-in maid. I have difficulty finding a reliable cleaning lady so I vacuum one floor each week and mop once every 2 months. The Dry Cleaners are cut-throat in their prices so I'll have to suffer the ironing when the shirts run out. I run around all the time and do not seem to accomplish anything. I am slow. I am not a housework passionado like my mother. But what can I say except "So? "

Told the Hub that if he wanted to live in a hotel-like house he could always move to one.

6 commentaires:

SteamyKitchen a dit…

love the music on the site! so peaceful!

SIG a dit…

Hey dear, you seem to be very stressed these days, lots of stuff to get off the chest. Haha. Am not complaining but what I'm thinking, you need a holiday! Relax when you are back home and just do not worry about anything ok? Maybe the trip will refresh you a bit? I know it must be tough having to handle three kids and so many chores and meals to prepare. But I'm sure you are already doing your very best. From what I know of you, I'm sure you expect nothing but the best from yourself. Also, I don't know if you do, but you can train your kids to do chores around the house. I do that to mine. It does help.

chicchicbaby a dit…

I salute to both you and the Dutchess, for being able to run a household so smoothly in a foreign country all by yourself. Men just want to solve the problem but they do not understand the problem at all. Oh well, thats the problem isnt it?? Lol. You take care.

Dutchess a dit…

You just reminded me of the lunch we had at that cafe. You ordered a plate of Balsamic Chicken and I commented all it needed was ginger to pass off as a confinement dish.

You are so right about the different sorts of Balsamic vinegar. After tasting the ones from Modena, I can't go back to the regular sort anymore.

last frontier a dit…

you don't need to have the maid living with you ! Are you living so far away from everything that no one can come in the morning and leave home in the afternoon ? Or just all the mornings for instance ? You just need to get ride of the most hateful and tiring home work, like cleaning the house, iron, washing,... You would "just" take care of the kids and cook because you like it. Everything else you wouldn't need to worry more about...
We have one maid just for 2 mornings a week, and one company that irons 60 stuff of clothes per month. We don't need to clean the house during th weekend.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

I may just have a cleaning lady coming in starting Monday. She will do minimum 4 hours on said day. Beggars can't be choosers so I'll have to go along. When I look at the pile of shirts and the dust, spiderwebs etc every where, I lose heart.
Sergio, services are not very developed here in Modena for some reason, it's not that I didn't want any help!!!