samedi, octobre 17, 2009

Happy Diwali/Deepavali 2009

Festival of Lights

This week Sh was very busy. Preparing a big feast to celebrate Diwali, I was told.

I think it is wonderful that no matter where they are, how few or numerous they are, they will still make an effort to celebrate special festivals that are important in their culture. Wish I could say the same for myself.

How many years have I not celebrated the Chinese Lunar New Year? Or Mooncake Festival? Or any festival for that matter? I've even forgotten when Baby Girl was 6 last year to offer her red eggs and noodles because the 1st month, 1st year, 6th year and 60th year are important birthdays in the Chinese culture.

This term, the Babies have been working on a Unit of Enquiry that certes, gave me work to do, but it included working a little on important traditions, rituals and events in our families and/or cultures. Hub's family is very weird in that they do not celebrate anything if they can help it and I've often thought it a miracle that FIL actually got a (very short) service at church when he died. And I knew Hub had cousins when his aunt died. And I've only met one of them once in all the years I'm married to the man. That is to say that he didn't help the kids do the homework.

Back in Singapore, Deepavali is a public holiday. I will be in London then. Though I couldn't gatecrash in some Indian home and help myself to the goodies, I will be with you in spirit.

Happy Diwali/Deepavali to my Hindu friends!!!

2 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

I never knew the red eggs stuff even though I'm on Asian ground. At least you know. Don't be too hard on yourself. But I guess I have the excuse too. My girl doesn't eat hard-boiled eggs hahahaha.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

All my kids love hard boiled eggs and especially the half-boiled ones.

I fear that I will regret it one day when I see them thoroughly ignorant of my side of the culture, languages etc.