dimanche, mars 15, 2009

Samoussas (The Real Thing)

Samoussas


I love Samoussas. The ones we have in Singapore are usually made with spring roll pastry whereas the ones sold in Indian shops here in Europe tend to be made with dough and fried. Since I have it on the grapevine that my cooking guru P is an expert on the matter, I didn't hesitate to ask her to show me how she made hers.


Samoussa dough

The Chapati is doubtless the mother of all Indian dishes. Know how to make this and you are set to make most Indian delicacies.


The filling

As usual, I have learnt something new. P used Ajwain seeds (similar to Caraway seeds) in her dough for the samoussas. I know the seeds by taste, but for some reason never got round to using them in my cooking. Now that I've discovered it, you can be sure that I'll be using it often. I just love it, it makes me want to make Murukus. Because it made me think of Murukus.




Sh and K joined us - though hours later. An example of ladies who didn't check bus time-tables and who didn't ask the bus driver when to alight when they finally got on it. :-) But they got to visit Maranello and a bit of Serramazzoni by bus and foot - a small adventure.


Needless to say, those Samoussas were delicious. I had to bring home a few for the Hub and the kids and they loved it too. Self-sacrifice, as you can see. Could have eaten them all myself, but didn't.

Potato Parathas (the potatoes were inside)

P also made us delicious Potato Parathas for lunch. Now, what else does P know how to make? Or doesn't, for that matter. Tell me, P.

Aucun commentaire: