vendredi, août 31, 2007

Mee Siam

Mee Siam with Prawns, Clams...

Hubby is away team building in some luxurious hotel in Torino. Followed by some VIP dinner on Saturday evening that I couldn't attend because of the kids. But then I get to sleep with Baby Boy (love of my life) and eat all the smelly things that I enjoy and which dear Hubby doesn't.

Since I had some prawns and clams in tomato sauce left over from the day before, the Mee Siam lightbulb was switched on. Besides I had a craving for Bee Hoon (rice vermicelli) and happened to have most of the ingredients on hand, so voilà.

The Fried Vermicelli


Basically just soak and soften rice vermicelli then drain and set aside. Heat up wok with some oil, brown some sliced onions and a bit of diced garlic, some dried shrimps (if you have them), the chilli paste (sugar, salt, dried chillis, shallots and shrimp paste mixed or pounded into a paste), the vermicelli, light soy sauce and tomato purée and stir fry till the bee hoon's cooked. Then add in some bean sprouts and a bit of water and mix well. Set aside.

Before the gravy

For the gravy, you'll need :
Preserved Soy Beans (taucheo)
Sugar
Tamarind Juice
Chilli paste (same as for the vermicelli)
Water
Prawn heads (optional)

Fry the chilli paste till fragrant and then add in the rest and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Arrange the rice vermicelli on a plate with the cooked prawns, fried tofu, hard boiled eggs, chives and lime. Pour the gravy over it and serve hot.

Steak and Raviolis

Unfortunately the kids were not too hot about Mee Siam and I had to cook them a separate meal : Porcini Mushroom Raviolis with Pepper Steak and Peppercorn Sauce. They didn't know what they were missing. Myself, see any more Italian pasta and I'll probably vomit.

6 commentaires:

East Meets West Kitchen a dit…

LOL! I do the same when my hubby's away too. Love your mee siam dish, and the kids' meal looked great too!

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Is your Hubby ang moh too? Cross-cultural relationships are great as we get to eat on both sides of the bridge, but also a bit lehcheh at times, must watch what we cook.

Pris a dit…

Hey serene! Can i ask you if you can get fermented bean curd in asian stores? What are they usually called anyways? =) Thanks for your mee sian recipe! Will try to cook it myself too...yah I know wat u mean. I doubt if Stephan likes dishes like mee siam. Oh, do u get yr recipes frm a book? Or are they self-invented?

One Wheel a dit…

i loved mee siam! cooked the dried version before with assistance from my cousin, but forgot the recipe liao. hope to try it sometime with your version :)

East Meets West Kitchen a dit…

Yes, and yes to lehcheh too! :)

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Eh, Pris, not fermented bean curd, but fermented soy beans - not the same thing. You usually find the Chinese brands in a tin and Yeo's in a jar. Should find it in Beta, for example.
Actually if more hardworking traditional recipe calls for cooking the bee hoon in the 1st gravy till it's absorbed, but I was lazy and somemore scared that the bee hoon would be too cooked so I decided to dry-fry it. So colour not so red. I have a Singapore Cookbook but very old (alot of msg etc), so I usually change the recipes, modernise, very often improve, invent or take short cuts depending on the dish. Are you back in Stuttgart already?