vendredi, mai 18, 2007

Roast Peking Duck

Roast Peking Duck

As you may know, we'll be moving again soon. As such, I am trying to clear out my freezer, fridge and pantry. And if you've heard my Hubby, he thinks that I tend to stock enough food at home to survive a war. He's not far off the point, so imagine the cooking (and eating) that I'll have to do in the next few weeks. Sigh, serves me right.

On Saturday evening, we had Jane's German friend Isabella over for dinner as well. So I told myself that this would be the occasion to defreeze the whole duck I had in the freezer and at the same time make enough to feed 8.

Roast Peking Duck with Hoisin Sauce, Cucumber, Spring Onions & Tortilla Pancakes

My simple Peking Duck recipe can be found in my December 2006 archives. I said simple as the traditional recipe would require one to blow the skin off the flesh, hang it up to dry etc and that's too much work for just a simple dinner. After pouring boiling water etc over the duck to tighten its skin, I had it marinated for 3 hours and then I roasted it in the oven for 2 hours the French way. It turned out great and it was fortunate that we had a man in the house to carve and serve it :-). With plain and spinach Tortilla Wraps, Hoisin Sauce (mixed with the cooking juice from the duck), sliced cucumber and spring onions.

One Serving

Chow Mein with Vegetables

I made Chow Mein (Fried Noodles) with Vegetables to accompany the duck and we ended the meal with individual servings of my Summer Tiramisu. This time around, I used Coconut Milk powder so that I could have a less liquid whipped cream and it worked.

Summer Tiramisu