jeudi, avril 05, 2012

Cabbage with Bacon Stir Fry

Cabbage and Bacon Stir Fry

There are days when you want to eat simply. I do not need another medical checkup to tell me that my liver's getting too rich and oily. Not that cooking the humble cabbage with bacon is not rich nor oily, but it's a simple dish to prepare and if you often keep a head of cabbage in the fridge like I do (because it keeps well for a long time), it can be whipped up in a jiffy.

I have been busy trying to reorganise the house now that we have lived a year in it. Spring being round the corner also contributed to the desire to tidy up and age probably also had something to do with it. A quick poll among my secondary school mates revealed that quite a number of the ladies have become quite into packing and repacking in recent months/years (some age faster than others haha) though once you reach my MIL's age I'm sure said desire will go out of the window again.

So I've been to Ikea a few times and came back with new shelves for the Babies (that I'd have spent an afternoon or 2 assembling the modern woman being the new man), I've also bought new transparent plastic boxes (they were quite expensive, sigh) and repacked the garage. Need to return to Ikea next week to buy more boxes so that I can also reorganise the closets. Plastic is a good investment because if you had burst pipes or a leaking roof, you'd appreciate not having your clothes in paper boxes (speaking from experience, of course).

Now I need to find the energy to repaint the wooden garden furniture for spring. And finish my new mosaic projects. But sighting sunlight really helps to keep me moving, winter just doesn't agree with me.

I had rice porridge left over from dinner and felt that it would go really well with some Cabbage and Bacon Stir Fry. No time to cook elaborate meals lately though that would have to change with the coming of spring and a new season of entertaining.



Cabbage and Bacon Stir Fry :

small head cabbage (tender parts chopped into large pieces)
3 slices good-quality bacon (sliced)
2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
a few dried chillies
sugar, salt and pepper to taste

Boil a pot of water and blanch the cabbage for 3 minutes. This would help make the cabbage less bitter but do not over cook or it'll lose its crunchiness. Remove and set aside.

Heat up a fry pan and fry the bacon pieces till the fat is rendered. Cook the garlic and dried chillies in the fat till fragrant.

Season to taste and add the blanched cabbage to the frying pan. Stir fry for a few minutes and serve hot.

Aucun commentaire: