lundi, janvier 28, 2008

Modena Golf and Country Club

Risotto with Saffran Threads (excellent)

When I was a kid in Singapore, Clubs like the Tanglin Club seemed very out of reach, only for the rich and the priviledged as we all know. Then my aunt became a member of the Civil Service Club where she would bring me to occasionally for a swim, dinner and then Tombola. And after I've left Singapore, my brother would go for a swim or a massage at the SAFRA Club and the last I heard many more accessible clubs have since sprout all over the island.

Over here in Modena, the Hub has recently taken up membership at the local Modena Golf and Country Club (really just opposite the house) so that he could spend his hard-earned money on expensive golf lessons and practice. I see no charm in the game and have no desire to spend hours in the fog hitting balls, so I've declined to be a member too, saving us a few thousand euros as a result. Though that didn't seem to bar me from joining the Hub at the Club for lunch almost every Sunday. And come Summer, I hope that this hospitality would extend to access to the Club's pool for the kids.

The Club's restaurant is a pleasant and bright room with a view of the lolling green and the service is good and efficient. The menu changes often enough and has a small but good selection of pasta, meat and sometimes fish dishes. Though if you wish to avoid overcooked meat, you'll really have to insist on the "rare" bit and still cross your fingers that it'll be as you like it.

Lamb Chops with Spinach (too cooked)

Other than that there doesn't seem to be much else to the Club. No Spa, no Pilates, no Tombola, no Singapore Delights buffet...This is still not the Club of my dreams, but I guess it's not too bad for a first one.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Beaulotus

Happy Chinese New Year. Gong Xi Gong Xi.

A of Padova

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Hi A! You're back from China? Work part time still need to travel there?

Gongxi Facai to you too!