vendredi, février 27, 2009

Bento 2 & Practical Italian

Empanadas and cucumber

I slaved over the stove again for another bento - this time Eldest Son wanted Empanadas. They were 4 students with 2 teachers and a mother to visit the Modena mercato coperto this morning - a trip to allow the students to practise their Italian in the real world.

The 3 boys (France-India-USA)

I had to send the boy to Café Concerto between 8:30 and 8:45 and decided to hang around a little to see what they were up to. Actually I needed to shop for a few things since I was there so it wasn't as if I was a protective mom and had to supervise them or anything. Otherwise I would just have volunteered upfront to accompany the group.


Mercato coperto di Modena

They were buying (in Italian) all the things I do not like to eat e.g. salami, cured ham, cheeses, dried fruit...so I wandered off after a while to buy all my own things and that after I've shaken off the man who had been following me around. I always attract the weirdos. Plus the Son was starting to ask me to buy him this and that - so it was best to disappear.



Hard at work

What I couldn't understand was why he needed a bento when they were going to buy all that good food for their lunch. Always on the lookout to give me extra work, this kid.

But I think he enjoyed the practical session in town which was a great idea on the part of his lovely Italian teacher. And for once they took public transportation so that we needn't fork out 10 bucks just for a 20-minute trip into the centro. And this way they get to experience even that practical aspect of Modenese life.

The filling
Anyway, made extra empanadas for dinner. They go well with a salad and a dip e.g. tabasco, BBQ sauce, hot sauce etc. I dedicate them to my dear Colombian friend Cristina who used to make us empanadas when we were living in Stuttgart and who is so good at them she actually sells them to Latino bars and restaurants in the region. We miss you.

Aucun commentaire: