lundi, décembre 03, 2007

Gift Hunting Season

64.46 euros for this

To tell the truth, since we are not practicising any religion, Christmas is not something that we really celebrate. Though we do normally decorate a Christmas tree for the sake of the kids and give them presents (any excuse to do so is always welcome). And I also send out ONE Christmas card each year - to my former French teacher Monsieur Baillon, without whom I may not have gone to France in the first place etc etc.

I had a fleeting thought about my coming trip home the other day and suddenly realised that it would be Christmas when we go back this year - meaning shouldn't I be bringing a few presents home?

I usually bring a few products from wherever we are at the moment e.g. wine, cheese, foie gras, chocolates, olive oil etc to my family, relatives, friends and neighbours when I go home. But this year being the first year that the Hub is working in Ferrari, I thought that it may be nice to offer a few Ferrari souvenirs to a few special people.

So armed with the knowledge that last month's salary has just arrived in the bank, I walked happily into the Ferrari Store in Maranello and did an about turn almost as quickly. Have they gone mad or what? Can you believe that they are selling 3 pencils for 20 euros? And if they come in a leather etui, they cost 40. Leather Key chains at 65, silk and cashmere scarves at 153, caps at 25, the Year Book goes for 80 etc etc. Who would pay so much for things like that?

But having recovered from my initial shock, I suppose I'd better make my way back there sometime this week to get a few things. I do not get to go home often and soon it would be not at all once Eldest Son reaches 13. Next year Ferrari will be hot in Singapore when the F1 race turns up at our doorstep. Money comes and money goes, I'd just have to pretend that I've eaten them all. No more restaurants until we go home then.

6 commentaires:

SIG a dit…

Oh dear, you poor girl. But it's crazy the prices!

Anonyme a dit…

there's a Ferrari shop at the Fumicino airport in Rome, some very nice things but blistering prices. I have 7 nieces/nephews, the damage would have been considerable.
umami
http://www.umami.typepad.com/

One Wheel a dit…

wah the price of the pencils are just too outrageous! Save the $ come back and spend :)

Anonyme a dit…

E(Torino)

Yeah the prices nearly knocked me off my feet when we were at the museum too. Well, someone has to pay for the high salaries of the Ferrari drivers......

Really not worth the money, you'll just be contributing your money to a group of already filthy rich people :-P

Dutchess a dit…

And that's why all my in-laws only got mousepads and caps when we returned. I mean we're not stingy people but I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for something so ordinary just because it's got the Ferrari logo on it.

Beau Lotus 涟 a dit…

Maybe I should find a way to make transparent Ferrari logos and then just stick them on ordinary pencils...

Well, the company likes to offer its own gifts to its employees on special occasions, so I guess if we know that the prices are so high we would be very happy to receive them. Otherwise you would normally frown if your company gives you a T-shirt for X'mas, right?

Wouldn't mind a Ferrari mousepad though. Looks kind of cute. Even last years' X'mas cards were really cool.